I was asked by a colleague yesterday “How do we stay positive when the negativity creeps in?” Here in southern Ontario as with many other regions in Canada and the northeastern states, we are still in winter weather conditions. Last night we experienced -15 and though it has warmed up a bit today, the snow flurries have arrived. Even the winter enthusiasts are waning and looking forward to warmer spring conditions. The top world news stories do not paint a beautiful picture of peace and the astrological shifts are definitely stirring up the status quo. So, the question is a really great one and I thought I would share some of my thoughts on it here. Of course I am hoping that it will encourage others to share their strategies and tips as well. Below are 6 tips to staying positive.
For me, once I realize either myself or because my sons so sensitively point it out to me (lol) that I am in a not so joyful place, I stop and take inventory. Have I been looking after my basic needs of sleep, nutrition, exercise and play? Is there something on my mind that I have not processed? Is my “To Do list” written out so it is not occupying space in my head? Often it will be one of these areas that are not in balance. I can then acknowledge them and make new choices moving forward.
Some of the immediate choices I can make to shift my energy include:
1. Reaching out to one of my go-to mentors whether they are available via phone, appointment, YouTube, book, CD, DVD, etc. These would include my reiki master, my spiritual coach, the work of Abraham, authors such as Robin Sharma. In fact, I started today out by reviewing some notes I wrote after listening to a segment of Robin’s program “Your Best Year Yet” series on the 5 Deadly Toxins. Let me share them with you.
- Being Negative
- Excuse Making
This is a great start to staying on the positive track.
2. Listening to some great music. I have my favourite uplifting pieces and will definitely crank up the sound and get my body moving to shake up the energy.
3. Singing. Again in the music category, however as a singer, I can put on my learning tapes and sing along which brings all my attention to what I am doing as well as bringing good deep breathe into my lungs.
4. Getting my body moving! Speaking of shaking up the energy – I am always feeling better when I get my body moving. Whether that’s a yoga class, or anything that takes me outside in nature is a magic tonic indeed for negativity.
5. Looking at the relationships around me. Motivational speaker Jim Rohn famously said that we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with. When it comes to relationships, we are most influenced by those closest to us. It effects of way of thinking, our self esteem and our decisions. Who are you hanging out with?
6. Meditating in whatever format you choose, it’s a winner!
I go back to the verse that I have on my website to remind me that the life we are experiencing is a direct reflection of our beliefs, thoughts and the choices we make every day.
“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”
As my good friend and mentor Sona once told me, “Suffering is an option!” but we can choose otherwise. What are some of your strategies? I’d love to hear them. Please leave a link back to your own blog too if you have one via the commentluv feature here on the site.
Until next time,