Organic Skin Care

kiboMany of my clients ask me what I use for skin care and make-up as we begin to realize how many chemicals are in the favourite products that we use every day from deodorant to shampoo and this time of year; sunscreen! It’s a fabulous question and one that I continue to learn more about every day. Being fair skinned, I have used face make-up since I was a young teenager and I realize that my body was exposed to harsh chemicals for years. I trust that my body is always ready to spring back and respond to healthy changes and so today I have a completely different approach with that of organic skin care.

I have a number of local favourites that I use which I am happy to share here along with a couple of great websites for further information. It started with the EWG who provide a wealth of research on product contents and my new find, The Health & Beauty World.

Here is a list of ingredients to avoid in your skin care from the Health & Beauty World website:

Butylparaben                                   Ethylparaben                           Isobutylparaben
Isopropylparaben                            Propylparaben                         Methylparaben
BHT                                                  Butylene Glycol                        Carbomer
Chlorphenesin                                 Cyclomethicone                       Cocamide Mea
Diazolidinyl Urea                             Dipropylene Glycol                   Dimethicone
Disodium EDTA                                EDTA                                         FD&C Blue 1
FD&C Red 40                                    Hydroxyethylcellulose             FD&C Yellow 5
Imidazolidinyl Urea                          Methicone                                Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone                     Paraffin                                    Parfum/Fragrance
Pegs- always proceeded by a #      Petrolatum                               Petroleum
Polybutene                                       Polyethylene                            Polyquaternium-7
Propylene Glycol                              Sodium Laureth Sulfate          Talc
Tetrasodium EDTA                           Triclosan

Here is the link for the EWG guide to safe sunscreen.

Finally a list of my local skin care and make up suppliers:

I hope that this has been helpful – I would be happy to hear of your favourites! Let’s add to the support of heathly products made with love and care.

Until next time,

Karen

8 replies
  1. Gillian says:

I use doTERRA Essential Oils and make all my products – using 100% Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils is very important as they absorb into the skin so quickly but have so many many amazing properties for our skin to keep it healthy and glowing. Great info! Thanks for sharing!

• Karen Armstrong says:

Hi Gillian – wonderful news. And do you sell your products? If so, please leave your website here for others to check out or let us know where to find them. Keep up the great work. Karen

• Gillian says:

Hi there I am a Wellness Advocate with doTERRA – a Health and Wellness company. I educate and direct people on how they can purchase CPTG – Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils and products at wholesale pricing. If you are interested in learning more please visit my website and or e-mail me at Gillian.joyofhealth@gmail.com

2. Shawn Nisbet says:

What a wonderful article Karen and so timely. This is the time of year that we are all wondering which sunscreen to purchase and of course all the ingredients you have listed are to avoided. One of my favourite sunscreens is made by “Beaulance”. It can be purchased at health food stores or by visiting http://www.beaulance.com.

• Karen Armstrong says:

Thanks for this tip on a healthy sunscreen option Shawn – I know I will give myself a certain amount of unprotected exposure each day however being fair skinned, sunscreen is a must for me. Please feel free to add more of your favourite skin care tips in the future.
      Karen

3. June Towler says:

I am a staunch cruelty-free natural ingredient girl myself. My hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body cream – everything has to be cruelty-free and natural. I have tried numerous natural deodorants and they always come up short but i’ve been using one that actually works really great that’s called Kiss My Face Cucumber Green Tea.

For those who do not wish to drive to Natures Emporium in Newmarket for their cosmetic needs, a great line that is available at Shoppers is called Live Clean – they have a range of really great shampoos and conditioners for all types of hair.

Love the info you provided! I’ve been trying to get friends to go natural and cruelty-free so it’s great to see this info circulating!

• Karen Armstrong says:

Thanks June – it is a tricky trial and error thing to find the right natural deodorant so thanks very much for sharing your winner! I have also tried the Live-Clean line before and really like it. I appreciate you adding your comments here and yes – it is so very important to educate because we just don’t know what we don’t know in many cases. Our bodies are talking back in so many ways – they will not give up, so neither will I. I hope to have you continue to read and share here on my blog. Be well,
      Karen

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!